Imaginative and enthusiastic cultural event organiser, writer, and French translator with a passion for multidisciplinary collaborative work. Experienced in producing interactive and inspiring events and publications, demonstrating excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Highly organised Franco-American linguist with an ability to research, plan, negotiate, budget and time-manage, and an aptitude for working to a structure whilst being adaptable. Reliable professional seeking the opportunity to bring the aforementioned skills together, in a dynamic, like-minded creative environment.
2006 – Present Freelance French Translator (specialising in the Arts, Literature, Tourism, the Environment, and Medicine)
- Deliver quality translation (French/English) in specialist areas
- Communicating with clients to agree on and negotiate work needed, managing expectations and negotiating costings
- Researching and adapting knowledge to accurately convey company messages
- Managing time effectively to meet tight deadlines across time zones, prioritizing, and planning work load to meet d time budgets set by various clients within the same period
- Answering to different specs, respecting each client’s needs
- Editing or localizing copy (adapting to market)
- Analysing and translating various legislation and company policies
- Using specialised PC software and social media platforms as instructed by clients
2009 – Present Creative & Collaborative Writer
Writing residency, Casa Tagumerche, Canary Islands.
Participating artist, P-E-O-P-L-E, Berlin, a 180+ collaborative platform, residency, and festival for independent artists. Interactive installation, Funkhive Devi, in which I held contemplative silence for musicians.
2016 Bristol Biennial: The Floating, collaborative publishing installation curated by Conway & Young with Amy Spencer.
Writer-in-residence – Konstepidemin (The Epidemic of Art), Gothenburg, Sweden (2009-2011), a thriving 130+ art community. Publications in Trigger, an online collaborative literary magazine,
2009 – Present Co-Creative Event Organiser/Curator
- Generation of ideas and implementation of international interdisciplinary events, developing high quality and well-attended events (concerts and film screenings with audience discussion)
- Fundraising: researching and identifying synergies and connecting with relevant organisations and patrons both nationally and internationally
- Budgeting and paying invoices in a timely manner
- Organising small teams, from grass roots to estate management
- Enabling open and effective communication between artists, team members, collaborators, and technicians
- Arranging workshops and programmes: planning structure of the day
- Scheduling: connecting with artists on tour, planning finer details such as logistics, technical/AV requirements, accommodation for artists
- Editing and developing promotional material – marketing and liaising with relevant communications teams (i.e. PR)
- Liaising with artists, volunteers, agents and venue owner to ensure smooth running and understanding from all
- Directing events – creatively solving problems as necessary
- Ensuring photography/filming/confidentiality policies are respected
- Monitoring and evaluating feedback, keeping lists up-to-date
- Overseeing merchandise sales team
- Multi-tasking and on-the-spot flexibility according to situations
Concerts & Events Curated:
Silence as a Creative Matrix: Collaborative installation with artists from various fields, culminating in a public celebration of mindful creativity. (In preparation, Berlin & Bristol).
The Image & the Sacred, a conversation and live film experience with Vincent Moon. Hosted a cinematic ritual and meshed improvised collaboration at The Cube, Bristol, between French filmmaker and music ethnographics pioneer Moon and local musicians. The event was introduced by a public conversation with Vincent on shaping new visual languages for the sacred. (March 2019).
Dovecote Muse: interdisciplinary creative performances in Overbury, Gloucestershire: Sweet Billy Pilgrim, Hauschka, Frank Fairfield, Caitlin Park, Uniform Motion, Jo Hamilton (30-100 guests) (2012-2016)
Cheltenham College: World War One centenary commemorations and Lottery-funded exhibition, “Old Cheltonians Go to War.” (2014)
Public/Private Art Film Screenings & Discussions of music documentaries for Danish band Efterklang: An Island, by Vincent Moon (Konstepidemin, Sweden), and The Ghost of Piramida, by A. Koefoed (2009-2012)
Writing, Translation & PR Clients:
Literature: Recent work includes English translations of Qaanaaq and Disko, by Mo Malø, Fayaway by Alexis de Prévoisin; French translation of The Book of Wisdom, for the Belgian electronic dance music festival.
Film: Ice & Sky, an environmental multimedia project by director Luc Jacquet, Marie Krøyer, directed by Bille August, yoga DVDs, Coty perfumes, advertising, Forest Whitaker documentary on South Sudan…
Tourism & Luxury Brands: L’Oréal, BareEscentuals, National Geographic, Orient Express
Art: Waintrob Project for the Visual Arts, for the preservation and knowledge of our artistic heritage. Press releases for NY artist/graphic designer Laurie Rosenwald, French and Swedish painters Michèle Guieu and Nils Ramhøj.
Volunteering – Assistant Archivist, Cheltenham College: exhibition research and curation.
Maîtrise d’Anglais, MA, American Literature, Université de la Sorbonne, Paris IV, mention Bien. Relevant module and publication: Master’s dissertation on Don DeLillo’s Underworld combined an analysis of a contemporary work of fiction which echoed Transcendentalism, the 19th century literary and philosophical movement centred on Emerson, Whitman, and Thoreau, with a study of our visual culture and its codes.
Licence de Lettres Modernes, BA, French Language and Literature, Paris IV-Sorbonne
Baccalauréat B, Lycée privé Notre Dame des Oiseaux, Paris (high school).
2015 Oral History Society, Training in Oral History, ethics & copyright
2002 Hygeia College: traditional midwifery; apprenticeship in homebirth midwifery, Virginia
2001 DONA International: Birth Doula Certification, New York
1999 Certificate in French-English Literary and Technical Translation, New York University
1994 Internship in naturopathy and holistic healing, CENATHO (Collège Européen de Naturopathie Traditionnelle Holistique), Paris.